We are hiring for a newly-created position as a Sustainability Communications Consultant within the insights and research team at Black Sun. The successful candidate will work on a wide range of communications projects with some of the world’s leading brands, helping them to articulate their sustainability strategies and develop and deliver highly-engaging campaigns through digital, social and print media. In this role, you will work closely with clients to help understand their sustainability challenges, develop impactful solutions that help them stand out from the crowd and deliver world-class communications that resonate with globally diverse stakeholder audiences. You’ll also get the chance to work closely with all parts of the Black Sun business – helping to win new business, delivering projects on-time and to a high quality and contributing to Black Sun’s award-winning thought leadership and best practice consultancy.
Key role responsibilities
- To work with clients in developing sustainability frameworks that present their sustainability strategies in a clear and meaningful way
- To develop highly effective communications plans that deliver clients’ sustainability strategies and programmes across channels, either as one-off campaigns over short or longer timeframes or as content on websites or in reports.
- To work with Black Sun’s creative teams to develop stunning visual and verbal idents for sustainability strategies that incorporate clear narratives and powerful messaging that help to differentiate clients from their peers.
- To lead stakeholder engagement activities on behalf of clients including interviews, workshops, focus groups and surveys.
- To conduct deep-dive research into the sustainability communications of Black Sun clients to assess their current communications approach, content and overall effectiveness.
- To help present Black Sun’s wider sustainability communications offer to existing Black Sun clients and demonstrate the value of developing an impactful communications framework and plan, beyond simply disclosing or reporting data and information
- To help pitch for and win new business and meet Black Sun’s ambitious sustainability proposition growth plans
- To manage and develop Black Sun’s own sustainability insight and engagement research and benchmarking toolkit and methodologies.
- To contribute to the development of Black Sun’s impressive thought leadership and editorial productions.
- To provide guidance, education, support and expertise to internal teams as required, ensuring the account teams are well equipped to drive discussions with clients
Skills and experience:
- At least five years’ experience in sustainability roles, preferably in communications, reporting or strategy
Degree-level qualification in either sustainability or communications preferred although strong experience and skillset is most important
- History of working with multinational organisations to develop sustainability strategies, plans and engagement campaigns
- Knowledge of key trends in sustainability communications – key issues, engagement channels, stakeholder segmentation (e.g. investors, customers, employees, communities, NGOs, supply chain)
- Comfortable presenting to (often large) groups of people usually at meetings, workshops or conferences
Strong problem understanding and solving skills, particularly relating to the articulation of strategic approaches and successfully delivering impactful communications
- Creative writing skills to develop sustainability narratives and key messages for clients that make them stand out
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills necessary to build trust and respect both externally and internally
- Can-do attitude that embraces teamwork while being able to handle projects individually
Loves a work hard, play hard environment!
In addition to a competitive salary based on skills and experience, as an employee at Black Sun, you will have access to a range of great benefits and perks, including:
Upon joining, you’ll be eligible for 25 days’ holiday per year (pro-rated if you join mid-year). Additional discretionary ‘bonus’ days are awarded for long service at Black Sun, enabling you to take advantage of a maximum of 27 days of holiday.
We operate an annual bonus scheme for all our employees to enable everyone to share in our success when the Company achieves its financial targets.
Personal Development Plans
We believe that the more successful we are in developing our people, the more rewarding and successful our business will become. As an employee at Black Sun, you’ll have access to an extensive suite of training through our ‘Full Circle Talent Development Programme’ to help you develop the skills to progress your career and be successful in your role.
Group Life Assurance
On joining Black Sun, you will be insured under our Group Life Assurance Scheme.
Group Personal Pension Plan
After three months’ at Black Sun, you will be enrolled on the Company’s group personal pension scheme. The Company will contribute 3% of salary to the pension scheme, and you will need to contribute a minimum of 5%.
Employee Assistance Programme
You and your family will have access to a confidential 24/7 helpline, providing you with a range of services including counselling, financial/debt management, family and childcare advice.
Black Sun operates a Payroll Giving scheme which enables you to donate through your payroll to any charity or voluntary organisation within the UK. The donation is made from your gross pay, enabling the charity to benefit from Gift Aid.
And whilst we love our jobs, we also like to have some fun along the way. We have a continuous social programme throughout the year, either virtually or in person.
If you want to work for an award-winning strategic communications consultancy, developing sustainability strategies, plans and campaigns with some of the world’s leading brands then this is the job for you. Send us your CV along with a cover letter and if you have the skills, experience and attitude we’re looking for, we’ll be in touch.