Incredible opportunity for a proven and ambitious ESG specialist to take on a lead role for a global consulting firm, proud of their reputation and culture. This role will see you joining an existing team of high calibre due diligence and corporate advisory specialists. You will be playing a key part in the development and delivery of their ESG services, working with a host of high-profile clients globally.
JSM have been retained by our client to exclusively source and identify the best person for this career defining opportunity.
My client is one of the world’s leading environmental and health consultancies developing innovative solutions to reduce pollution and restore natural environments.
You will be working on international ESG and environmental due diligence and strategy development projects for a wide range of financial, industrial and legal clients.
Leading the ESG topic within my client’s Compliance, Strategy and Transactions services team, playing a key role in helping their clients understand and define the ESG risks and strategies moving forward.
My client is recognized global leader in the provision of environmental and health & safety (EHS) and environmental, social, governance (ESG) due diligence, supporting clients in hundreds of M&A transactions each year. They act for many global private equity houses, multi-national businesses (often Fortune 500 firms), property and asset investment and development institutions and legal firms.
My client is looking for someone with an enthusiastic and entrepreneurial approach. You will be part of a large collaborative and supportive team with an incredible range of projects and clients globally.
The company prides itself on their great culture, where they reward initiative and promote continual professional improvement. You will be provided with significant support and resources to succeed in the position.
UK – Flexible Location
The role can be based anywhere from one of my client’s main offices – they have a very flexible approach to remote working and promote a healthy work life balance.
The essential personal qualities that will help you succeed in this role include enthusiasm; willingness to learn; collaborative nature; self-confidence; diligence; proactive taking responsibility; willingness to take the initiative and innovate; strong research and investigation skills and the ability to question and challenge on technical topics to identify the status/solution; ability to build strong trusted working relationships with colleagues, clients, and project teams. By the very nature of due diligence, it is essential that you have strong organisational and communication skills and excellent attention to detail.
Ideally You Will Have the Following
• Demonstrable experience of being a key member of ESG and environmental diligence teams across a wide range of sectors and client types, including leading, where appropriate, proposal development, project management, client liaison, and report delivery.
• Ability to quickly and succinctly interpret and critically analyse ESG, environmental and other relevant information relating to the diligence Target, as disclosed in a data room or public sources, assess the potential risks or opportunities such issues represent to the Target which might be material in the context of a transaction, and propose pragmatic and realistic risk mitigation or opportunity maximisation solutions, including reasonable case and reasonable worst case scenarios and financial estimates;
• Experience of preparing ESG-related assessments against recognised standards; developing ESG performance improvement strategies; and supporting Clients in the implementation of such strategies and/or in reporting and communicating Clients’ ESG performance to external stakeholders.
• Appropriate professional understanding of the UK legal framework of environmental (typically contamination-related) liabilities, and environmental compliance requirements, including the ability to put these risks into context and advise Clients or stakeholders on liability management options and potential associated financial liabilities.
• Appropriate professional understanding of the relevant international ESG-related performance, assessment and disclosure/reporting standards, and experience of monitoring the development of such and communicating the requirements of such standards to colleagues and clients.
• Ability to engage with Clients and stakeholders to understand their requirements, obtain sufficient information, and succinctly and accurately report findings and deliver results; whilst maintaining and enhancing their position as their Client’s trusted advisor.
• Ability to work successfully with UK and international colleagues and sub-consultants to ensure the timely and commercially successful delivery of ESG and environmental diligence and strategy projects and deliverables.
Your Key Deliverables in the First 12 Months Will Include
• Leading the preparation of ESG and environmental diligence and strategy proposals including client liaison and project start-up.
• Managing and delivering ESG and environmental diligence and strategy projects to the required technical and commercial standards.
• Actively contributing to my clients global ESG and diligence networks, including the continued improvement and deployment of their ESG strategy and diligence tools, including digitalisation initiatives.
• Mentoring less experienced colleagues in the necessary aspects of ESG strategy and diligence.
• Leading on identifying, tracking and communicating developments in ESG assessment standards and topics to the wider team.
• Actively contributing to the wider Compliance, Strategy and Transactions department business plan, including financial performance, product development, and culture, welfare and behaviours targets.
• Proactively representing my clients ESG and diligence services to the external market through contributing to business development initiatives, proactive use of appropriate professional social media opportunities and attendance at/contributing to external ESG and diligence events.
About This Opportunity
My client is ranked by Mergermarket (www.mergermarket.com) as the No. 1 environmental consultant for M&A transactions in Europe for the period from January 2015 to present by deal volume. During this period my client has advised on 243 successful European M&A deals across a broad range of industrial sectors with a disclosed transaction value of approximately EUR 128bn. Their M&A advisory to the Industrial Product and Services sector represents the largest share of their deal advisory credits with a total of 58 transactions with disclosed transaction value of nearly EUR 32bn recorded for the same period.
My client has an extremely experienced global ESG and EHS strategy and diligence team, which is itself part of its global Environmen