Curtins are an award winning, leading consultancy working within the built environment. We
have 14 offices across the UK and Ireland. With a rich heritage that spans 60 years, we are
renowned for our expertise in civil and structural engineering, transport planning, geoenvironmental and geo-technical engineering, infrastructure and as principal designers.
Our success is down to our brilliant team. This is why we invest in our people, their
development, and their wellbeing, and have become an Investors in People Platinum
We are now looking to appoint an appropriately experienced Geo-Environmental Engineer in
our Birmingham office. The position offers an opportunity to contribute to the development of
our expanding specialist geo-environmental consultancy, that operates within a successful
multi-disciplinary and national consultancy, providing excellent career development prospects.
This position would be ideal for an engineer with at least one year’s experience and a
willingness to travel to gain experience across a multitude of sites.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
• Delivering technical reports (Phase I and II) providing geo-environmental design
input, primarily to built-environment projects.
• Designing Ground Investigation projects and providing site-based management of
intrusive works and environmental monitoring across projects in the UK.
• Undertaking ground gas and groundwater monitoring and sampling
• Pro-active liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other
members of the design team.
• Ensuring that all work is delivered in line with Curtins procedures and policies and to
the highest safety, health and environmental standards.
• Some degree of travel is to be expected including assisting Curtins Bristol and
London Geo-environmental team
• A minimum of 1 year’s relevant experience with experience in a similar consultancy
role or ground investigation contracting role, preferably in the built-environment, with
good knowledge of ground investigation techniques, implementation and management.
• Bachelor’s degree in Earth or Environmental Sciences, or other relevant subject.
• Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Geo-technical Engineering, Engineering
Geology or other relevant subject, with focus on Contaminated Land (desirable).
• Experience in managing site investigation works in a similar geo-environmental role,
preferably in the built-environment within the UK.
• Soil logging to BS5930:2020 and Eurocode 7. Rock logging would be advantageous.
• Demonstrable knowledge of remediation options appraisals and strategies is desirable
• Demonstrable knowledge of engineering geology and foundation design is desirable.
• Highly numerate, with ability to understand and manage large datasets.
• Capable of producing written reports to highest standard, presenting technical
information clearly and concisely.
• Works well with others in a team environment and possesses strong communication
• Attention to detail and a willingness and ability to learn new tasks.
• Strong focus on health and safety.
Skills and Abilities:
• Determination to find solutions to problems
• Ability to communicate in a clear and concise way with colleagues and clients
• Ability to develop client relationships
• Must hold a valid driving licence
• Willing to travel and stay overnight for project work in the UK.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients and prospective clients
• 25 days Holiday, plus Bank Holidays and “Birthday” holiday
• Holiday purchase scheme
• Company Pension Scheme
• Life Assurance
• Salary sacrifice options
• Free use of company lodge(s)
The right fit
We invite enthusiastic individuals who share in our values of teamwork, client focus, integrity,
and quality to apply to join us.
We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences to bring different
perspectives to our team.
We value diversity and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). By aspiring to
inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the communities, towns and
cities we serve, our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their
voices are heard, and they help build our future.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please get in touch with us if there are any adjustments that we can make that would help you
fulfil your potential, both during the application process and within the role. We would be happy
to speak to you about accessibility and how we could make the process more suited to your
needs. For this, please contact us at email@example.com.