My client has been at the heart of the UK Energy market for 25 years and are playing a critical role in decarbonising the UK energy system. As a major energy services and smart metering company with technology, data and sustainability at the core of their ethos and business model, my client is committed to delivering the future of smart energy.
My client has begun constructing the first two sites of a 1GW pipeline of battery storage projects, marking its entry into the grid-scale energy storage market. The first trading activity will commence in Q4 2021 with a continuous growth of assets under management every year, 270MW by the end of 2022.
The Power Trader role will form part of my client’s power trading team, optimising a rapidly growing portfolio of battery storage assets in the UK. Reporting to the Director of Trading the role will ensure that my client’s assets will optimise in the UK energy market. With a state of art trading platform, the role is responsible for managing short term physical power and ancillary services market. You will also aim to maximise the value captured from optimising physical assets operated by my client.
The team operates on a day trading team and out of hours on call duty rota. In addition to trading, the position you will also have duties to ensure that my client fulfils its operational and contractual obligations as a licensed operator in the UK Power Markets.
This is a great opportunity to work in a growth area for a company investing significantly and strategically in the dynamic short-term storage sector.
• Delivery against P&L targets from the portfolio using physical assets, wholesale market trading and balancing market trading.
• Responsible for ensuring my client’s standards are maintained throughout all remote physical asset instructions.
• Drive operational excellence to maximise optimisation opportunities.
• Lead testing and implementation of new products and assets onto the desk.
• Contribute to a high performing team encouraging new commercial innovation.
• Ensure compliance with their risk policy.
• Responsible for the oversight of accurate trade allocation, nomination and physical scheduling of remote power assets including a portfolio of Front of Meter Battery Storage assets and the aggregation of flexible Behind the Meter assets using Virtual Lead Party.
• Responsible for producing P&L estimations on new UK optimisation deals.
• Liaise with fundamental teams to build out short term fundamental supply/demand views and trader tools.
• Support development of commercial opportunities with Solo Power and TPI Energy desk.
• Support development of algorithmic trading strategies in UK for storage assets.
You Will Have The Following
• Degree (or equivalent) preferably numerate.
• EPEX Certification and/or trading risk course (training will be provided).
Skills & Knowledge
• Track record of managing risk and delivering profit.
• Relevant and sufficient experience in a short-term trading role managing despatch of physical assets and trading positions.
• Understanding of Capacity Mechanism.
• Experience trading on exchanges and using an ETRM including a qualification to trade UK power on EPEX (training can be provided).
• Good knowledge of UK power markets and asset operations.
• Working knowledge of relevant power codes and the implications on physical asset trading.
• Experienced user of IT systems, skilled in MS office and preferably the ability to provide analytical market analysis.
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
• Manages own workload effectively.
• Deep technical knowledge of the UK power market and ancillary services which is used more broadly.
• Independent delivery or delivery through others.
• Works with complex problems and uses insight, technical expertise, and lateral thinking to find solutions.
• Curious about new ideas and able to translate them into viable plans.
• Resilient and responsive to change.
• Strong situational judgement and risk management skills.
• Contributes to team development through sharing expertise.
• Equipped to hit the ground running and deliver results at pace, while maintaining poise.
• Positively influence a wide range of stakeholders under a variety of gross margin targets and regulatory pressures.
Rewards & Benefits
My client offers a highly competitive salary along with a range of exciting benefits. This is an exceptional opportunity to join an ambitious business with significant growth plans ahead. My client offers a lot of training as well as great scope for progression and reward. You will have significant input into the growth and development of the business.
Even if you are cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.