Who are we?
X-Academy is a non-profit-making subsidiary of Xodus, established to be an industry leader in professional skills development and the delivery of tangible, meaningful activities in the quest to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees. Diversity of skills, experience and background will help us come up with the best ideas and do the most collaborative and creative work. X-Academy will deliver experiential learning in an environment where ideas thrive and everyone has a voice and a chance to belong and contribute.
Do you have what it takes
We are excited to launch this brand-new initiative which will see some of the highest-potential individuals work on real-life, meaningful and impactful energy projects. You will embark on a two-year position within the non-profit-making X-Academy where you will learn and develop the core behavioural, technical and analytical skills that are needed to meet global energy targets and limit global warming.
Over the course of 23 months, you will work alongside experienced Xodus professionals on energy projects which reduce emissions or accelerate efforts towards net zero. Our projects include developing commercial scale offshore wind, blue and green hydrogen, carbon capture, utilisation and storage, wave and tidal energy, and some of the most exciting energy hub concepts the world has ever seen. These projects could be existing Xodus consultancy projects, or brand-new developments we are creating, or even ‘moon-shot’ research and development that could make a tangible difference to the success of projects around the world.
Alongside project work you will receive training in professional, commercial and technical skills, as well as being assigned a long-term mentor. We are also working alongside external organisations to curate a programme of activity which captures the very best in career development opportunities.
We will be measuring our own success on the ability of everyone completing the programme to secure long-term employment in industry. Could X-Academy be your gateway to fulfilling your career goals in one of the most important industries in our global fight against climate change?
Who are we looking for
Firstly, you’ve got to be ambitious and have a fundamental desire to help make progress towards a responsible energy future. This is your chance to bring more action to tackling the climate crisis rather than relying on political rhetoric to drive change.
Secondly, you’ve got to be good. Very good. And this means?
● Are you a strategic thinker? Do you see the bigger picture?
● Do you embrace change? Will you be able to thrive in a dynamic programme which adapts to the changing global energy context?
● Are you creative and innovative? Are you excited about finding novel solutions?
● Are you quality-focussed? Do you have a passion for high-quality outcomes?
● Do you have an effective, adaptable and engaging communication style?
● How is your emotional intelligence? Do you understand ‘people’?
● Can you lead on your own development?
● Do you take accountability for your workload, always?
● Are you a true team member?
We are looking for the best people, and diversity of thought (ideas, views, voices), whatever your background, to contribute to the work of X-Academy. Here are some examples:
● You’ve recently graduated but you’ve not yet made it into an energy sector career (or you’ve landed in a pure fossil fuel role and you’d like to broaden out to a wider energy mix). We don’t actually mind what degree you have, but you’ll be expected to have very strong verbal and written communication skills, and be numerate. Whilst all degree backgrounds are going to be considered, we will have an emphasis towards STEM degrees.
● You’ve been in the armed forces and are looking for a career change. You’ve got some incredible behavioural skills and would be willing to bring some of these to share with others in your cohort. You’re willing to embrace new skills and develop into a new and exciting profession with its own challenges.
● You’ve got a burning ambition and enthusiasm to be part of the energy sector, yet you’re used to seeing the sector represented by people that are different to you, or you haven’t found a pathway to joining the industry. We want to embrace difference, whatever that may be. If you’ve hesitated before, now is your chance not to hesitate.
● You’ve been working for decades in an entirely different industry where you have honed your technical, behavioural and project management skills…but now you realise you can put your skills to good use in addressing some of the worlds’ most exciting energy challenges.
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make the X-Academy participants as diverse as possible and are excited about the positive impact this could have on our industry. Whatever your story, we welcome you to apply.
● For this first intake we are specifically looking for people to be living in Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire (our kick-starter funding is aimed at this region, but we will expand the eligibility to other regions in the future), however we welcome contact from those from other regions who may be interested in future opportunities.
● Degree-level qualification or equivalent levels of experience/exposure
● Eligibility to work in the United Kingdom
● Part time applications welcome
Process and Timeline
We are on a speedy timeframe to get to work on our first projects. Timeline predicted to be as follows (subject to change):
● Recruitment launch: 15 November 2021
● Applications close: 26 November 2021
● Be available for interview/assessment: 29 November to 03 December 2021
● Offers: 10 December 2021
● Welcome session and publicity opportunity: 17 December 2021
● Official start: 05 January 2021(flexible, subject to notice, etc.)
All programme participants will be offered a competitive salary plus benefits.
Application is via https://apply.workable.com/xodus-group/j/4CBEB5C32.... Applicants should submit the following:
● Cover Letter
● An engaging (using your choice of media*) response to the question: “For the energy sector, in your opinion, what is the most responsible path to reach net zero (and beyond)?”
*note, for static content, please submit as PDF. For video or audio files, please enclose a link to the platform on which it is saved or can be downloaded from.