Fantastic opportunity to join and established team of ecologists within one of the world’s most highly regarded consultancies. This exceptional opportunity would suit an ambitious and dynamic individual looking to gain valuable experience from working on a range of prestigious and diverse projects across the region.
My client has an outstanding reputation for the prestige of its projects, fantastic culture and continuous progression and learning.
You’ll be working alongside many of the UK’s leading professionals on a range of high-profile projects throughout Wales and the rest of the UK.
You will gain experience on a range of modern, innovative survey methods and techniques, including remote mammal monitoring using trail cameras, static and mobile bat recording and use of tablet technology to rapidly gather and send field data to servers.
You will also get involved with ecology advisory services and policy related assignments.
My client’s team provides a diverse range of skills, enabling large and complex projects to be undertaken within and outside the region. As a result, staff benefit from opportunities across a range of projects both from a skills and location point of view.
This role will be based mainly in Cardiff, with travel to other offices and work locations in the Region and beyond as required.
The successful individual will be expected to prepare, manage and execute, with limited supervision, the delivery of ecological services for internal and external clients within a wide range of projects sectors including energy, water, transport, residential and mixed use schemes. You will also be expected to provide support to the wider environmental management and EIA team on individual projects. Good team working and communication skills will be essential, as the role will demand collaborative working with other ecologists and scientists to deliver a challenging programme of work.
Tasks will include a range of habitat, vegetation and species surveys, technical reporting, provision of ecological design advice, site supervision and liaison with clients and colleagues within. You will be a practical and pragmatic individual, able to respond to client needs and develop innovative solutions to challenging problems.
Requirements & Skills
Essential Skills & Knowledge
• Extensive experience in a range of ecological surveys – including habitat surveys and protected species surveys for birds, mammals and herpetofauna.
• Proven success of working in a team environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work on multiple projects.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office range of software including GIS and tablet technology.
• Full driving licence.
My client is keen to add to their botanical skills base and would welcome applications for candidates who have the following, in addition to the transferable skills mentioned above:
• Well-developed skills in botanical identification and survey, in lowland and upland habitats, including use of UKHab.
• Experience of NVC analysis and reporting.
• Experience of Biodiversity Net Gain assessments.
• Batchelor Degree or equivalent in Ecology or related subject.
• Should have membership of CIEEM and ideally experience of a consultancy environment.
Desirable Skills & Knowledge
• Protected Species survey licences (notably bats, dormice, and/or great crested newts) are also desirable.
• Advanced GIS and mapping skills.
• Habitats Regulations Assessment experience.
You will manage existing projects, working with internal and external clients to deliver and give clear, consistent and considered advice to achieve project goals and benefit biodiversity.
You will report to the Team Leader and play a key part in the regional team.
Reward & Benefits
My client offers a competitive salary and one of the best benefits packages in the sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for my clients Profit Share scheme.
Even if you are even cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.