Senior Geotechnical/ Geoenvironmental Engineer
£28,000 - £38,000
Our client a leading consulting engineering group, have an exciting opportunity within their Ground investigation division in the North East. The opportunity is for an experienced engineer who would be responsible for delivering geotechnical and geo-environmental assessments and design, from desk study through to construction.
The role entails assisting with all elements of geotechnical design/construction issues, providing technical input within that field as part of a multi-disciplinary team, or working separately on particular aspects of geotechnical design/construction, providing advice to the civils team & external clients. Additionally there would be involvement in the technical aspects of bid writing and input on other technical issues.
The role entails supporting the internal client across their UK office network, working closely with the existing technical teams based from the other office locations. The position is fairly autonomous within the North East office, which undertakes a variety of civil, structural, and geotechnical projects. Part of the role will be to identify and develop markets for geo services, both internal and external, using the northern offices as a springboard.
Candidates should ideally have a first degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology, although other disciplines combined with suitable experience may also be acceptable. A Masters in Foundation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Soil Mechanics would be an advantage. You will be or shortly aiming to become a Chartered Engineer with the ICE or a Chartered Geologist with the GeolSoc.
Technical Skills (essential)
• Able to prepare Desk Study reports and Mining Risk Assessments
• Design and supervision of ground investigations, organising fieldwork, direction of sub-contractors
• Familiarity with all ground investigation techniques
• Logging of soils/rocks to BS5930 / EC7
• Use of geotechnical databases, such as HoleBASE
• Use of slope stability applications, such as SLIDE or SLOPE/W
• Interpretative reporting, including bearing capacity, settlement, pavement design, and foundations
• Experience of working with other disciplines (civil, structural, environmental).
• Appreciation of financials aspects of projects, ability to prepare fee proposals, and able to support others in fee bids.
Technical Skills (desirable)
• Design of piles, soil nails, ground anchors, retaining walls, slope stabilisation, dewatering, reinforced soil, surcharge schemes, etc.
• Familiarity with analytical software such as EA R&D 20, RBCA, CLEA to derive site specific thresholds and clean-up criteria
• Familiar with Phase 1 and 2 assessments
• Understanding of the Source-Pathway-Receptor methodology
• An awareness of appropriate remedial strategies and options including process-based methods
• Negotiations with local authorities and agencies
• Supervision of remedial works
• Validation work and associated reporting
• Able to check others work
This is a fantastic opportunity for a senior level engineer that is perhaps currently working within a similar role in a larger consultancy but does not get a satisfactory level of autonomy in the role that they deliver on. This is an expanding office and is the ideal time for the right person to come in and be a key part of the development of the group as a whole. As you would expect with a role of this level a competitive salary and benefits package are on offer.