About the role
As a Band 1 Inspector in the area of Regulatory Oversight, you will ensure that the RD your
role will include the following responsibilities:
• Lead the RD assurance function liaising with tiers two and three assurance functions
in the generation of RD assurance plans.
• Overarching responsibility for a high quality, efficient and effective RD Management
• Perform planned and unplanned sampling reviews of front line regulatory activities
involving observation of site and assessment inspection activities both at site and
during licensee/dutyholder interactions.
• Perform sample reviews of regulatory decision making.
• Influence regulatory policy and strategy both nationally and internationally.
• Identify areas of good practice for capture within regulatory processes and
procedures as well as identify areas of inconsistency across regulatory programmes.
• Identify opportunities in improving efficiency and effectiveness in our regulation
including elements of learning and development for both new and existing staff.
ONR Regulatory Oversight Role Page 2 of 3
• Liaise and act upon findings from both a knowledge management and regulatory
intelligence perspective to ensure that identified areas for improvement are
implemented across the organisation.
• Provision of independent confidential advice to the Technical Director and CNI in
relation to all aspects of ONR regulation including wider strategy and government
• Provide an internal challenge function through the Technical Director and CNI, when
appropriate, to ensure procedural and regulatory compliance and provide
constructive approaches to address any shortfalls identified whilst ensuring the
reputation of ONR is maintained.
• Monitor and evaluate enforcement action taken across the Regulatory Directorate
and provide input to the CNI in relation to progress and compliance.
• Review and recommend applications for ONR Warrant issue including the
observation of front line inspectors performing regulatory activities, based on a
minimum 20% sampling basis.
• Represent the CNI Office at various strategic fora relating to future ONR strategy and
enhancing efficiency and effectiveness.
• Keep the Technical Director and CNI abreast of relevant “developments and
intelligence” within the operational programmes and any other operational matters.
• Engaging People – Collaborating and Partnering - Proven ability of working
effectively with peers and senior leaders, providing constructive challenge and
influencing. Ability to work closely with numerous individuals across the organisation
to enable the provision of high quality, accurate, and timely information to the CNI
Office in support of the role responsibilities.
• Setting Direction – Changing and Improving - Innovative thinking and strong
networking to stimulate new opportunities or solutions and early identification of risks
within the regulatory framework.
• Engaging People – Leading and communicating - Effective communication skills
with a variety of stakeholders. Excellent and concise writing skills. Ability to persuade
and influence licensee senior management and other stakeholders based on
personal capability, integrity and respect.
• Setting Direction - Making Effective Decisions - Ability to make informed nuclear
regulatory judgements balancing the various technical, regulatory and other factors.
• Delivering Results - Delivering at Pace - A high degree of organisational and
planning skills to meet challenging and, at times, reactive deadlines.
• Job Related Expertise - Knowledge and experience of performing and providing
assurance reviews at a senior level. With an up to date knowledge and experience in
the application of the UK nuclear regulatory regime. Good working knowledge of the
nuclear industry and its associated hazards and risks in one or (preferably) more of
the following applications:
o nuclear power generation or the design of new generation reactors;
o nuclear fuel/fissile material handling/ radioactive waste management/nuclear
o defence-related (nuclear) activities;
o transport of radioactive materials.
Qualifications (details of these requirements should be included in your application)
A good honours degree, or equivalent in a subject appropriate to the specialism, or the
ability to demonstrate performance and experience at an equivalent professional level.
ONR Regulatory Oversight Role Page 3 of 3
Chartered membership of a relevant professional institution, or the ability to demonstrate
performance and/or experience at an equivalent professional level.
The key stakeholders associated with the role include:
• ONR – strong internal network across the range of programmes as well as with the
• ONR CNI, Technical Director, Programme Directors and Programme Managers.
• 2nd and 3rd Line Regulatory Assurance function.
• Senior Management within Licensee organisations
• Other regulators – in particular the HSE, Environment Agency and Scottish
The roles require National Security Vetting clearance to at least Security Check (SC) level.
How to Apply
The closing date for receipt of applications is 2nd April 2017 at 11:45pm.
Please submit your application through the recruitment portal.
Your application should include:
• A full record of your education and professional qualifications and a full employment
history. Please include in your application details of your achievements when
prompted relevant to the key responsibilities/essential requirements above and latest
remuneration which will be treated in confidence;
• You will also be prompted to briefly describe your suitability for the role clearly
evidencing your experience against the job related expertise(s) and core
Internal candidates will also be prompted to upload a CDM statement before submitting
Your ability and skills will be assessed at an in-depth interview if you are invited to the next
stage of the recruitment process. An initial sift of applications is made against these criteria
and a failure to address any or all will affect your application.