As part of the larger organisation, the Sustainability Group provides a wide range of services across building design to both the internal and external client.
Our current suite of services include:
• Environmental assessments, including BREEAM, LEED and WELL
• Energy modelling/building physics
• Production of strategic development, framework and briefing documents
• Ecological Assessments
• In-use and post-occupancy evaluation
• Production of planning documentation, including Sustainability and Energy Statements for Planning
• Knowledge sharing and upskilling of the practice
• BDP internal environmental management
As a major international interdisciplinary practice of architects, designers, engineers and urbanists, BDP offers a unique opportunity to work on large, high profile projects within interdisciplinary design teams. You will take a leading role on our diverse project portfolio, both now and in the future.
• To evolve and expand the knowledge of the organisation, raising the company’s profile for thought-leadership and the conscientious design of places and buildings
• To ensure that the company develops and expands its environmental and sustainability services internally and externally, working to influence design proposals and lift design quality
• To become accepted as a resource for sustainable design advocacy and creativity, working closely with different teams to provide low impact, healthy and value added design solutions
• To work with the studios, profession heads and board of directors to ensure the sustainability agenda is communicated effectively throughout the practice
• To work to reduce the environmental impact of our day-to-day operations in line with our ISO 14001 and 50001 certification.
• To be regarded as a thought leader for aspects of the sustainability agenda
We are keen to diversify our commercial offer through the inclusion of a professional that has a demonstrable track record in air quality and health and wellbeing. The successful candidate will champion this new line of work in a relatively autonomous manner, though will contribute to a much wider raft of sustainability services offered by the team.
Therefore, this expertise should be borne from an enthusiasm for driving developments towards sustainability, through the practical implementation of reducing the impact of the built environment and have a thorough understanding of environmental, social and economic issues at local, national and global levels.
The successful candidate will have a good understanding of the planning, design and construction industries (and processes) and be able to work closely with urban designers, planners, architects and engineers. You will be good with numbers and graphics and be able to work well within an interdisciplinary team.
The successful candidate will truly enjoy their work, maintaining a keen interest in developments in the industry, be enthusiastic about design and possess a positive outlook on life. You will be driven and looking for an opportunity to develop the role and make a positive contribution to projects. You will have excellent communication and negotiation skills and have the ability to articulate and pitch ideas effectively.
Qualifications and previous experience:
You should have a post-graduate qualification in environmental design and/or a sustainability related subject, with 2-3 years relevant experience working in the field of sustainability with specific experience of delivering air quality analysis and assessments (though this will only be a strand of a wider role).
You will have worked within the field of environmental design in a commercial organisation, ideally an architectural or engineering practice.
Required technical skills include:
• The production of planning reports, and design guidance as appropriate, at the early stage of building design;
• Working knowledge of environmental and sustainability legislation and its applicability to UK development;
• Managing environmental assessments, including (but not limited to) BREEAM and LEED;
• Production of air quality analysis and assessment
You will be expected to have exemplary written and spoken English, with experience of report writing and presentations.
The ideal candidate will bring with them a positive track record of satisfied clients and industry contacts that may offer future opportunities.
The successful candidate will be a Member of the Institute of Air Quality Management (or comparable).
In return, BDP offers an excellent opportunity for your personal development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, profit shares, contribution towards professional subscriptions and a great working environment.
Founded in Preston in the UK in 1961, we now have studios across the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, the MENA region, India, and China. BDP has a leading track record in all major sectors including health, education, workplace, retail, urbanism, heritage, housing, transport, leisure, public safety and energy utilities, having won over 750 awards for design quality from international and national bodies.
We work closely with users, clients and the community to create special places for living, working, cultural activities and learning across Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia.
Please click "apply" below. You will then need to complete the online application form. You will need to provide an up-to-date CV with cover letter that outlines your experience with the above job description and also include your salary expectations.
BDP is an equal opportunities employer.
No agencies or third party applications please.