Here at Scottish Power Renewables we’re committed to remaining a UK leader in renewable energy. We manage the development, construction and operation of onshore wind and marine energy projects in the UK, and offshore wind farms worldwide. As well as investing in our technologies, we are committed to investing in the future of extraordinary people like you.
About the role
We currently have a vacancy for an Operations & Maintenance Engineer within ScottishPower Renewables based in London. The O&M Engineer (Structural) sits within the Asset Integrity Management team of Offshore Operations, reporting to the Senior O&M Engineer. The O&M Engineer (Structural) will be responsible for assisting in the definition and delivery of O&M scope of works in relation to the structural assets, assist on the management of the structural assets to optimise operational expenditure and minimise technical risks, ensure long-term asset integrity and O&M interests are observed and duly implemented at the design and construction stages of the various projects, whilst ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied.
• Support Senior O&M Engineers on detailed analysis of structural engineering issues compromising the long-term integrity of the offshore wind assets, both above water line and subsea, taking responsibility of small work packages. Support O&M site teams by providing technical assistance on structural related failures, including liaison with specialist engineering services as needed.
• Support development and implementation of fleet wide asset integrity strategy with a risk-based inspection and structural condition monitoring bias.
• Assist on the preparation of scope of works for formal tendering processes to procure inspection and maintenance activities concerning the structural assets. Coordinate with employees working within a number of countries throughout Europe and USA to ensure project execution with intelligent and cost effective resourcing.
• Provide advice on the risks affecting technical integrity or asset performance to the Senior O&M Engineers, to ensure that cost effective O&M solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile is fully understood.
• Develop O&M functional requirements to be fed into the basic, FEED and detailed design stages of the support structures. Review design drawings and reports to follow-up progress in the implementation of the functional requirements at the various stages of the structural design.
• Support the O&M project teams on the technical aspects concerning the handover of the structural assets from EPC to operations by assisting on snagging and documentation review and attendance to walk-downs to ensure technical risks are well understood and minimised at the moment of the transfer of custody.
• Ensure that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that sufficient technical and commercial due diligence exists to support those business decisions.
• Make technical recommendations to Senior O&M Engineers based on the analysed asset integrity status, Electricity production and other KPIs.
• Develop work instructions for O&M activities concerning the structural assets respecting at all times the Company’s HSE strategies and ensuring a high standard of health and safety awareness is maintained.
• Ensure appropriate lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm operation and Maintenance are captured and shared across the different Offshore Projects.
• Participate in research and development and internal efficiency projects aimed to develop innovative, lean and optimised solutions to lower down OPEX costs in the area of structural integrity.
We are looking for someone who has a Master degree in Structural or Mechanical Engineering. Sound knowledge in the area of structural integrity and design are required. Experience in any of the following areas will be considered an advantage; structural integrity inspection techniques, fabrication of steelwork and reinforced concrete foundations, installation and subsea operations, corrosion protection systems, structural condition monitoring systems, stress analysis and fracture mechanics, geotechnical engineering, coastal engineering/seabed dynamics.
In order to be suitable for this challenge you are expected to have experience in a structural field, either in offshore wind or Oil & Gas. You will have strong organisational and operational skills with the ability to link this awareness to technical judgement and decision making.
The role requires a broad technical proficiency and the ability to deliver multiple work packages. We will also be looking for an individual who has experience of working in an international and multidisciplinary team, within this delivering against targets and reporting, with the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines. You should be self-motivated with a flexible approach to work; able to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing in working environment and demonstrate a positive approach to change.
Due to the nature of the role, you will have effective communication skills in order to write reports, do presentations and summarise parameters and drivers impacting the scope of works. You should have the ability to scrutinise complex engineering problems, carry out root-cause analysis, propose engineering solutions and effectively communicate those to various stakeholders, ranging from management to site O&M teams. As a result you should have strong relationship management skills and confidence working with senior colleagues and have determination to overcome obstacles. You should also be IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other project management software. Experience with Finite Element Modelling will be considered an advantage.
Fluency in English (both written and spoken) is essential and language skills in Spanish or German are desirable.
This is a permanent, full-time position based in London (EC4Y 0AH) with a starting salary from £42000 per annum (and up to 10% bonus), depending on experience and qualifications. Plus other company benefits including Stakeholder Pension plan, training and development, generous annual leave and flexible benefits of your choice.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in many countries across Europe and the rest of the world. The position may require frequent travel to various locations in Germany, UK and overseas.
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please register and apply online via the apply link below