Atkins is looking to recruit an Environmental Consultant with practical experience of environmental assessment and management to join our team in Birmingham. This includes joining a practice of over 60 environmental assessment and management professionals located across the country, working to deliver an exciting range of high profile infrastructure projects including large scale energy projects, HS2 and other rail schemes, Smart Motorways, Road Improvement Schemes. Key clients in this region include Network Rail, Severn Trent Water, Highways England and HS2.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Our proven track record in delivering complex solutions is made possible by the collective breadth and depth of expertise, experience and resources of our people and businesses around the world.
Based in our Planning and Environmental Consenting Team, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with a range of technical specialists and will manage and coordinate EIAs, environmental assessments, and/or the development of environmental management plans for the design and construction phases of projects. This is an excellent career development opportunity for a candidate with solid environmental assessment experience, looking to progress their career to the next level through working on high profile infrastructure projects in the Midlands region.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level in an environmental or scientific discipline and will have achieved, or be working towards, chartered status and / or full or associate membership of a recognised professional body. They will have a wide range of skill sets and a willingness to become involved in a broad selection of projects. In particular the successful applicant will:
• Be skilled at working collaboratively with a range of technical specialists.
• Have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate issues and ideas effectively.
• Have strong report writing, verbal and presentation skills.
• Be able to prioritise and work effectively under pressure.
• Be flexible, adaptable and prepared to take on new challenges and work from other Atkins or client office locations
• Have experience of UK environmental legislation. Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and planning processes and a broad understanding of the technical specialisms required for EIA.
• Have a full UK/EEC driving licence
• Have an interest in and understanding of environmental and broader sustainability issues
• Coordinate environmental work being undertaken by multi-disciplinary teams, for EIA, options appraisals and/or environmental management plans.
• Check, summarise and present information in a clear and concise way understandable to non-specialists, both verbally and in written format.
• Work as part of a project team to influence project development in order to deliver optimal environmental outcomes.
• Collate and edit information from a range of sources to provide clear, well written reports.
• Environmental project management and coordination on major projects.
• An interest in developing technical skills with a view to becoming a member of a relevant professional institute.
• To competently undertake own work to an excellent standard; on time and to budget.
• Represent the company and continue to build personal and company reputation.
• Support on bid preparation and business development as required.
• Undertake Continual Professional Development in accordance with requirements of chosen professional institute and work towards becoming chartered.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as IEMA, RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, and CIWEM.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.