Senior Operations & Maintenance Engineer
About the role
We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Operations & Maintenance Engineer within ScottishPower Renewables, based in London. The Senior O&M Engineer (Structural) sits within the Asset Integrity Management Department team of Offshore O&M, reporting to a Lead O&M Engineer or the Department Manager. The Senior O&M Engineer (Structural) will be responsible for defining O&M strategies and plans, tendering (technical), negotiating (technical) and being the technical lead for small-scale offshore O&M campaigns/installations related to the structural assets, including management of contractors and associated interfaces, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied.
• Perform detailed analysis of structural engineering issues compromising the long-term integrity of the offshore wind assets, both above water line and subsea, taking responsibility of small work packages. Liaise with O&M site teams by providing technical assistance on structural related failures, including liaison with specialist engineering services as needed.
• Develop and implement the fleet wide structural asset integrity strategy with a risk-based inspection and structural condition monitoring bias.
• Prepare scope of works for formal tendering processes to procure inspection and maintenance activities concerning the structural assets. Coordinate with employees working within a number of countries throughout Europe and USA to ensure project execution with intelligent and cost effective resourcing.
• Provide key and strategic advice on the risks affecting technical integrity or asset performance to the Lead O&M Engineer and/or Department Manager, to ensure that cost effective O&M solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile is fully understood.
• Develop O&M functional requirements to be fed into the basic, FEED and detailed design stages of the support structures. Review design drawings and reports to follow-up progress in the implementation of the functional requirements at the various stages of the structural design.
• Support the O&M project teams on the technical aspects concerning the handover of the structural assets from EPC to operations by assisting on snagging and documentation review and attendance to walk-downs to ensure technical risks are well understood and minimised at the moment of the transfer of custody.
• Make technical recommendations to the Lead O&M Engineer, Department Manager or Sites or Readiness teams, based on the analysed asset integrity status, Electricity production and other KPIs.
• Develop work instructions for O&M activities concerning the structural assets respecting at all times the Company’s HSE strategies and ensuring a high standard of health and safety awareness is maintained.
• Provide input on appropriate bid levels / commercial strategies and commercial agreements relative to projects to the corresponding Contract Managers. Provide key input in the preparation of investment dossiers for all funding requests for projects.
• Ensure that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that sufficient technical and commercial due diligence exists to support those business decisions. Ensure appropriate lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm operation and Maintenance are captured and shared across the different Offshore Projects.
• Lead small-scale research and development and internal efficiency projects aimed to develop innovative, lean and optimised solutions to lower down OPEX costs in the area of structural integrity.
• Manage, lead and develop junior members of the staff within the Asset Integrity Department (Structural) team.
We are looking someone who has a Master degree in Structural or Mechanical Engineering with significant postgraduate experience in either Offshore Wind or Oil & Gas. Sound knowledge in the area of structural integrity, inspection and maintenance activities are required to be equal for this role. In addition, experience in any of the following areas will be considered an advantage; corrosion protection systems, fabrication of steelwork and reinforced concrete foundations, installation and subsea operations, structural condition monitoring systems, stress analysis and fracture mechanics, geotechnical engineering, coastal engineering/seabed dynamics.
You will have strong organisational and operational skills with the ability to link this awareness to technical judgement and decision making. The role requires a broad technical proficiency and the ability to deliver multiple work packages with a commercial flair and understanding of the impact of technical decisions. We are looking for an individual who has experience of working in an international and multidisciplinary team, delivering against measurable targets and with the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines. You should be self-motivated with a flexible approach to work; independent and autonomous individual; able to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing in working environment and demonstrate a positive approach to change.
Due to the nature of the role, you will have effective and competent communication skills in order to write reports, do presentations and summarise parameters and drivers impacting the scope of works. You should have the ability to scrutinise complex engineering problems, carry out root-cause analysis, propose engineering solutions and effectively communicate those to various stakeholders, ranging from Senior Management to Site O&M teams. As a result you should have strong relationship management skills and confidence working with senior colleagues and the determination to overcome obstacles.
You should also be IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other project management software. Experience with Finite Element Modelling will be considered an advantage.
This is a permanent, full-time position based in London (EC4Y 0AH) with a starting salary from £50,920 per annum, depending on experience and qualifications, a bonus of up to 15% and Single Cover Private Health Care. Plus, other company benefits including Stakeholder Pension plan, training and development, generous annual leave and flexible benefits of your choice.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in many countries across Europe and the rest of the world. Regular travel to attend meetings and work at different project sites in a number of countries though northern Europe, particularly Germany, France, Denmark, Spain and England are expected as part of this role.
• Selection Method: Competency Based Interview
• Competencies: Teamwork, Initiative, Achieving results and continuous i