Do you have a passion for Health and Safety?
Are you qualified to Certificate Level 3 with NEBOSH or equivalent Health and Safety qualification?
The Strategic Command Chief Environment and Safety Officer (CESO) is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join and work as an integral part of the team to fill the role of Safety, Health and Environmental Protection Advisor 3 (SHEP3).
SHEP 3 is responsible for supporting Deputy CESO by providing Strategic Command Business Units, Heads of Establishment, etc. in the UK and overseas with professional advice on Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Protection in order for them to meet the HS&EP objectives in the UKStratCom Command Plan and Executive Committee priorities.
The post is intended to be full-time and therefore part-time or job share can only be considered if full-time cover can be achieved.
UKStratCom TLB (Top Level Budget) is one of the 4 Military Command TLBs operating in the UK and overseas, including the Permanent Joint Operating Bases in Cyprus, Gibraltar, South Atlantic, etc. The purpose of the CESO team is to enable UKStratCom to deliver its outputs whilst protecting Health, Safety and the Environment. This will be achieved by providing professional Health, Safety and Environmental Protection advice, training and support to Business Units, Heads of Establishment and managers throughout the TLB. The team also provides Commander UKStratCom and his Executive Committee with HS&EP assurance through audit and regular performance monitoring and reporting.
The team is primarily based at Abbey Wood North in Bristol with a few team members working out of Northwood and RAF Brize Norton.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week
The SHEP3 post will be the CESO lead for Occupational Health services, and will be responsible for maintaining a program of scheduled Occ Health visits by the single Services, monitoring progress where significant deficiencies are identified.
CESO UKStratCom Team Objectives and Outputs:
• Provide authoritative, balanced and targeted advice and support to customers on safety, occupational health and environmental protection legislation and associated MOD Policies and Regulations.
• Maintain TLB policies, strategy documents, HS&EP Risk Register, Enforcement Spreadsheet, etc.
• Promote a positive HS&EP culture and collegiate working across the TLB.
• HS&EP Audit Authority for UKStratCom TLB, assuring units and establishments in the UK and overseas to ensure they are compliant with legislation and the MOD policy.
• Facilitate Defence Safety Authority regulatory inspections of UKStratCom, monitoring non-conformances and liaising with DSA over all regulatory matters.
• Improve joined-up customer communications and develop an active HS&EP Community of Interest.
• Deliver customer requirements documented in the Customer Supplier Agreement (CSA) with Head Office.
• Deliver IOSH HS&EP courses and work to improve Health, Safety and Environmental Protection knowledge and skills amongst UKStratCom and Head Office personnel.
• Monitor UKStratCom HS&EP performance and report to the UKStratCom Executive Committee.
1. Interpret legislation, MOD Policy and Regulation to draft TLB HS&EP strategies/directives/policies and procedures and provide appropriate and timely advice and briefings (written & verbal).
2. Represent TLB at SO2 level MOD-wide HS&EP Committees (e.g. DSA Working Groups,). Attend Team & HLB HS&EP meetings providing competent advice and guidance and maintaining team plans to inform all CESO team members of current issues and initiatives.
3. Provide peer support to other CESO team members and promote a positive HS&EP culture through liaison with the TLB-wide HS&EP community and the delivery of IOSH training.
4. Maintain and Develop competence by identifying relevant development opportunities and retain memberships of relevant professional bodies.
5. Contribute to and support the CESO HS&EP audit program as an audit team member.
6. Promote Occupational Health services and develop/maintain a programme of scheduled Occ Health visits by the single Services, monitoring progress where significant deficiencies are identified.
7. Summarise key issues at team meetings and providing input to Quarterly and Annual Assurance reports.
8. Ensure monitoring equipment is maintained to support the completion of workplace and activity surveys, ensuring calibration is current.
9. Undertake/arrange workplace surveys and reviews to identify areas of concern requiring further investigation and quantify risks to produce action plans for line management.
10. Contribute to the promotion of CESO by including details of Services available and summarising key issues for the team Newsletter and contributing at the team’s annual seminar/conference.
The SHEP3 post is integral to the CESO team based in Abbey Wood North (ABWN) in Bristol and the successful candidate will be required to work from the Bristol office on a regular basis. Some overseas travel will be required to fulfil the requirements of the post.
Applicants should be aware that there is only limited parking on the Abbey Wood North site and car parking spaces are allocated on a priority system that is usually restricted to staff that live further than 3 miles from the site, and for a max of 12 days per month. However, the use of public transport and car sharing is very much encouraged for those who work at any of the MOD Bristol sites and employees have access to a MOD-only Lift share website to facilitate this. MOD staff who register their car-sharing group are eligible to apply for an unrestricted priority pass.
Level 3 Certificate in Occupation Health and Safety
Lead Auditor Qualification or a willingness to achieve within 3 months of joining the team.
Level 6 Diploma in Occupation Health and Safety
Level 3 Qualification in Environmental Management
Full UK driving license
Member of a relevant professional institute such as IOSH, or IEMA (or willingness to become a member) – Essential.
Level 3 Certificate in Occupation Health and Safety
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Health and Safety and Environmental Protection Functional Competence Group 1 - The Management of HS&EP in Defence.
Health and Safety and Environmental Protection Functional Competence Group 2 - Health and Safety
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and di