Exceptional opportunity for a carbon and EIA specialist to join an established team of specialists within one of the most highly regarded consultancies globally. My client is at the forefront of sustainability and climate change consulting and boasts some of the most talented people in the industry.
They require an upbeat, enthusiastic and experienced senior sustainability consultant with experience in EIA and carbon footprinting. My client is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services.
Through their pioneering work, they make a positive difference in the world.
The role involves carrying out carbon assessments, developing carbon reduction strategies, and mitigation advice to a broad range of clients and different project contexts. With the constantly evolving climate change policy environment an understanding of Net Zero, carbon offsetting, and application of guidance such as PAS2080 is needed. You will also be working closely with the wider EIA and Climate Change based across the UK.
The position is for a Senior Consultant to work within my clients established team in London. You will be working on a range of prestigious projects which will include private developers and other organisations and public sector authorities. You will be working in a multi-disciplinary environment alongside other environmental, planning, engineering and urban design specialists.
This is an opportunity to work on a variety of EIA projects ranging from the aviation sector to rail and energy. Your role will include carbon modelling and reporting, engaging with design teams around mitigation as well as opportunities to get involved with wider more strategic sustainability advice e.g. ISO14001 documents review, design and construction assurance, etc.
You will be responsible for your own work, delegation and technical checking of others’ work under the mentorship of the group’s team leader.
Your remit will be to undertake technical carbon assessment work, provide regular contact and liaison with both internal and external clients, regulatory authorities, research partners and assist with proposal preparation and marketing activities.
You will be expected to:
· Write technical client reports;
· Carry out research and data collection;
· Keep up with the latest developments regarding carbon regulations and policy;
· Attend presentations and talks regarding carbon models and assessment tools;
· Liaise with clients;
· Assist with the team's marketing and organising events;
· Prepare bids and presentations;
· Delegation of tasks; and QA of assessments.
Crucial Skills & Knowledge
You will be a motivated, enthusiastic and ambitious individual with existing environmental/sustainability consultancy experience, able to work on your own initiative. You will have knowledge, or first-hand experience, in most or all of the following areas:
· Experience in EIA and undertaking carbon assessments for a range of projects;
· Experience in developing low carbon/net zero route-maps or strategies for organisations and/ or sectors (including developing science-based targets);
· Good working knowledge of international, European and UK policy, legislative, regulatory and planning frameworks.
· Familiar with the UK’s position with regards to carbon i.e. the amended Climate Change Act (2008) and Net Zero, the Committee on Climate Change budgets and other key strategic documents;
· Carbon assessment standards and guidance documents such as: PAS 2080, ISO 14064, BE EN 15804, BS EN 15978 etc.;
· Experience with LCA models would be an advantage, but not essential
Desirable Skills & Knowledge
· An understanding of BREEAM, CEEQUAL and LEED or similar
· Understanding of wider sustainability consulting e.g. corporate sustainability
· Design and construction assurance
· Understanding of systems thinking
· Appreciation of environmental economics
· Education to degree level but preferably a Masters degree.
· Member of the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and Chartered Environmentalist
· IEMA Registered Environmental Auditor would also be desirable
· In addition to technical skills, other competencies will include:
· Excellent leadership and organisational skill
· Excellent presentation skills (oral and written)
· Excellent commercial skills
· Proficient in excel and numerically.
Reward & Benefits
My client offers a competitive salary and one of the best benefits packages in the sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by my client and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.