Exceptional opportunity for a Senior Energy Consultant specialist to join an established team of specialists within one of the most highly regarded consultancies globally. My client is at the forefront of sustainability and climate change consulting and their team has some of the most talented people in the industry.
This unique opportunity would see you joining one of the world’s most highly regarded Independent Engineering Consultancies with a fantastic reputation for the work they deliver and the profile of their projects. The role will be within my client’s well-established energy team
In this exceptional opportunity, you will be working on a range of challenging and complex projects both in the UK and overseas. The complex and innovative nature of the projects will give you unparalleled scope to develop your experience in this key sector.
Energy is one of the four pillars of my client’s global strategy, alongside Transport, Cities and Water, so it is a key growth market for them across a wide range of geographies, projects and areas of expertise. They have a very well-established presence across the energy market with deep expertise in delivering thought leadership and innovation to their clients.
To support their growth in Energy, they have a new opportunity for a hardworking Principal/Senior Energy Consultants to join their established team in Manchester or Sheffield.
In this exciting role you will design, consult and take the lead on a wide variety of complex and ambitious decarbonising energy projects including energy distribution, district heating/cooling, renewable energy (biomass, wind and photovoltaic) and emergent technologies (hydrogen, CCUS, large scale storage) for a range of clients including national, regional and local government, energy developers, education establishments, industry and hospitals.
My client’s projects strive for innovation and quality employing conventional, renewable and emerging technologies as appropriate for their clients. Recent projects include biomass (combined heat and power) CHP projects, energy recovery facilities, gas CHP plants for horticulture involving the capture of CO2, energy market reserves and university/hospital campuses, battery storage, and heat networks.
Manchester or Sheffield
Your responsibilities in this role will include:
• Management and commercial performance of projects
• Contribution to management and performance of the team
• Initiating and developing the concept design and delivery of decarbonising energy projects including district heating, biomass, CHP, battery storage, on-site power generation, hydrogen, CCUS and distribution systems, including selection and sizing of plant, developing designs and scheme layouts, costing of solutions and quantifying performance
• Advising on electricity supply procurement, which requires a working knowledge of procurement methods and private wire schemes
• Identifying and assessing funding options for energy projects and investments
• Developing business cases for decarbonising energy investments from initial concept through to financial close, electricity procurement options, private wire schemes and the design of energy schemes and systems, including development of design drawings, technical specifications and invitation to tender packages
• Evaluation of tender returns (technical and commercial) from contractors to identify value for money
• Integration of thermal and electrical energy generation and distribution infrastructure into building developments
• Working with investors and developers of energy schemes and infrastructure investments to get projects to financial close
• Commercial evaluation and appraisal of a variety of energy systems and schemes
• Financial and technical analysis of energy projects to maximize value for clients
• Sampling of site works during construction, testing and commissioning
• Monitoring the quality of construction in-line with technical specifications, employer’s requirements and industry standards
• Sampling of site works in-line with project programme
• Evaluating the performance and operation of energy schemes
• Surveying and evaluating existing buildings and energy systems and schemes
• Producing high quality reports and presentations in clear English
• Handling the production of drawings, reports and specifications
• Supervising and coordinating the work of others and coordinating work with engineers of other subject areas
• Client and external team liaison
• Providing technical guidance and mentoring to more junior members of the team
Crucial Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Ability to connect with a wide range of colleagues, clients and collaborators
• Previous experience of working in a consulting environment, preferably in multi-disciplinary teams
• Full Member and Chartered Engineer status via an appropriate professional institution, such as the Institution of Engineering and Technology, the Energy Institute, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, or the Chartered Institution of Building Service Engineers
• Qualitative and quantitative analysis of energy data and trends
• Leading technical consulting projects including, energy infrastructure feasibility studies and portfolio or area energy strategies
• Energy decarbonisation masterplanning at an estate, city, regional and national scale
• Advising public and private sector clients on options, risks and appropriate actions to make choices and mitigate risks
• Researching innovative low carbon energy systems and other topics related to energy, cities, resilience and climate change
• Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills (both written and oral)
• Exceptional planning, organisational and time management skills
• Ability to optimally delegate work, manage staff and mentor junior engineers
• Strong commercial awareness, together with an interest in economics, as well as engineering
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Energy procurement (Tender Package Development, Employers Requirements, Technical Specifications)
• Design of district scale energy systems and downstream roles such as procurement adviser and Technical Advisor/Owner’s Engineer
• Energy system operations
• Renewable energy (solar photovoltaic, biomass, wind power, hydrogen, CCUS)
• Developing business cases for energy investments and infrastructure refurbishments
• Business development – able to quickly develop successful client relationships
• Up-to-date knowledge of developments and trends in the energy sector
• Knowledge of current UK energy markets and regulations, such as Electricity Procurement, Part L, RHI, Contracts for Difference, etc.
Rewards & Benefits
My client offers a highly competitive salary along with a range of exciting benefits. This is an exceptional opportunity to join an ambitious business with significant growth plans ahead. My clien