Fantastic opportunity for an experienced ecologist to join an established team of within one of the world’s most highly regarded consultancies. This exceptional opportunity would suit an ambitious and dynamic individual looking to gain valuable experience from working on a range of prestigious and diverse projects.
My client has an outstanding reputation for the prestige of its projects, fantastic culture and continuous progression and learning. You’ll be working alongside many of the UK’s leading professionals on a range of high-profile projects. My client is looking to recruit an Ecologist on a full-time contract based in Belfast, working as part of a team of 7 experienced ecologists within their regional team. You will be part of a wider multi-disciplinary consulting team delivering an effective and professional service to a range of clients. Projects can vary significantly in nature and duration, which helps to provide a diverse working environment.
This is a varied role, and your day to day responsibilities could include the following;
• Managing the ecological input of projects, including client meetings, project delivery and budgets, preparation of bids and tenders;
• Preparation of clear and concise reports, including Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEA), Species Survey Reports, Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA), Habitats Regulations Appraisals (HRA) and Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) Assessments;
• Providing clients and team members with technical advice on subjects including survey requirements, mitigation requirements and habitat creation;
• Field survey work, such as Phase 1 Habitat/UKHab surveys (including condition scoring for BNG assessments and invasive species) and protected species surveys (e.g., for bats and badger). Data analysis of survey results;
• Opportunities to get involved in areas such as Biodiversity Net Gain and Natural Capital;
• Liaising with clients and other relevant stakeholders;
• Presentation of data using ArcGIS;
• Opportunities for flexible working,
• Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to develop a broad range of skills throughout your employment.
The position is based in the Belfast office and may entail some travel to Scotland and the north of England as required (depending on Covid-19 restrictions), assisting teams in across the region on a regular basis.
My client encourages their ecologists to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to keep learning about the industry and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to our clients.
As such, my client is looking for the following qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience;
• Minimum of a Bachelors degree in a relevant subject,
• A postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline, such as an MSc in Environmental Consultancy, is advantageous but not essential;
• Membership of CIEEM, or equivalent professional body and seeking to work towards Chartership;
• post qualification experience, most of which will have been gained within a planning or environmental/ecological consultancy area, preferably in EcIA and HRA/AA
• Experience in designing, carrying out ecological surveys and delivering EcIA and AA is essential
• A full driving licence is essential;
• Experience with protected species survey licence(s)
• Transferable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Experience of having worked in the consulting industry previously;
• Strong team-working skills;
• Strong commercial awareness
• Experience of having used ArcGIS software
Rewards & Benefits
My client offers a highly competitive salary and one of the best benefits packages in the sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by my client and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.